Health and Fitness
- We love bicycling! Here are 101 reasons why you should, too!
- What’s so great about walking? The folks at the Mayo Clinic explain why walking is so good for you.
- And what about cycling? Here is a great article from the Better Health Channel on its many health benefits.
- How many calories did you burn on your last walk or ride? Find out here!
- Here is a Beginner’s Guide to Cycling, compiled by Regis College, which includes resources on buying and fitting a bike, as well as tips for riding safely.
- At HABPI, we are huge proponents of bicycle commuting. Here are some great tips on how you can get started!
- Helmets save lives! We are a firm believer in wearing a helmet (at any age), while cycling.
Economic Benefits of Trails and Greenways
- Cyclists sometimes raise the ire of motorists. This lively article from the UK discusses 10 reasons why motorists should be happy to share the road with bicyclists.
- The York County Rail Trail Authority published this Heritage Rail Trail User Survey & Economic Impact Study Report in 2017.
- Headwaters Economics has gathered a Trails Research and Searchable Benefits Library—a free compendium of more than 140 studies on the benefits of trails for business, community life, public health, and property values.
- The Rails-to-Trails Conservancy offers many resources for those seeking information about the economic benefits of trails and greenways. Here are just a few:
Partners and Friends
South Central Pennsylvania is home to a rich bicycling and pedestrian community. Here are a few of our local partners and friends:
Places to Walk and Ride
South Central Pennsylvania and the surrounding areas are home to an abundance of beautiful, fun parks, roads, and trails to ride, walk, and run. Here are two links to some of our favorites:
Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety and Laws
- The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation’s Bicycle Driver’s Manual will answer your questions about safe bicycling and the law in the Commonwealth.
- The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration’s Guide to Laws Related to Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety offers a comprehensive overview of laws related to pedestrian and bicycle safety.
- The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation put together a list of Rights and Responsibilities of Cyclists on PA Roads.
Policy Research and Information on Bicycle- and Pedestrian-Friendly Communities
- The Rails-to-Trails Conservancy’s report, Active Transportation for America: The Case for Increased Federal Investment in Bicycling and Walking is an excellent resource for those seeking solid information on the community benefits of walking and bicycling.
- The National Complete Streets Coalition describes how transportation engineers and planners are working to build road networks that welcome all citizens, whether walking, bicycling, or driving.
- The Safe Routes Partnership works to make communities safer and more convenient for pedestrians and cyclists.
- The Federal Highway Administration produced a Residents’ Guide for Creating Safer Communities for Walking and Biking, which offers suggestions for working with local governments to create more pedestrian- and bicyclist-friendly communities, along with many encouraging success stories.
- Want to know more about pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly communities? The Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center at the University of North Carolina offers this compilation of information.